Tuesday, July 28, 2015

A Soldier's Gift (Beyond Valor 1) by Lynne St. James ARC Review!




BLURB:

In book one of Beyond Valor: Beth’s life changed forever with one phone call. An accident leaves her ex-husband and daughter fighting for their lives. Putting her life on hold, she spends most of her time in the hospital with her daughter, praying she’ll pull through while her ex’s condition goes downhill, forcing her to make one of the hardest decisions of her life. 
Lieutenant Thomas “Mac” MacDonald pulls three of his unit’s soldiers from their burning Humvee after a roadside bomb explodes in Afghanistan. He sustains a severe head injury that leaves him believing he’s dying, until he wakes up stateside alive but blind. 
Meeting Beth while volunteering at the hospital after his discharge he is instantly attracted to her. As Mac struggles to come to grips with what life has dealt him, he finds his thoughts continuously turning to a woman he barely knows. 
Beth tries hard to deny the attraction she feels for Mac, and focuses her energy on her daughter’s recovery. But no matter how they fight it, their feelings for each other grow.
Can Beth overcome the need to shield her heart and let Mac in? Can Mac conquer his fear that she’ll turn him away when she finds out who’s responsible for him regaining his sight? And are they able to let the walls they’ve built around their hearts fall, allowing a soldier’s gift to bring them the love they both deserve?



MY REVIEW:


A Soldier's Gift is the first book in Lynne St. James's NEW Series, Beyond Valor. I don't usually get into a lot of books featuring soldiers, but with Lynne St. James I knew I will get a good read. I didn't expect however to get MORE though, yet I did with A Soldier's Gift. This story was heartbreaking, sweet, and showed the kind of spirit soldiers have after getting injured. I found myself crying and cheering for Beth and Mac as well as for Beth's daughter. 

Even though we have some seriously wickedly hot sex, I absolutely ADORED the fact that this story was set around  a soldier's recovery as well as the romance between Beth and Mac. I sighed a lot as I was reading and was amazed with Mac's determination and strength as well as Beth's strong character as she fights the loss of her ex, the recovery of her daughter, as well as the love and lust that blooms between herself and the wounded soldier that seems to have stolen her heart. I am also incredibly intrigued with Mac's best friend and fellow wounded soldier, Tag, as well as with Beth's best friend, Julie. I sincerely hope that Tag's and Julie's story is next. I can say for sure that I am addicted 100% to James's new series!

I wanted to give this book at least a Seven or Eight Stars, but since they don't have that kind of rating system I gave it the highest there was which is an OUTSTANDING FIVE SHOOTING STARS! Its a fascinating, sweet story with strength, determination, and the fight for both love and life. It's completely breathtaking and definitely puts you in the shoes of wounded soldiers and I was amazed to read such a unique and beautiful story. Bravo Lynne St. James. Bravo.


No comments:

Post a Comment