Friday, January 12, 2018

Picking Up The Pieces Release with Excerpt and ARC Review!

Maryann Jordan
Picking Up the Pieces
Baytown Boys Book 5
Release Date January 12, 2018

 

Military duty called them away to war zones, but after tours overseas, the group of friends found their way back home as men, seeking the peaceful little seaside town. Now, the band of brothers, together once more, work to provide a place for less fortunate veterans to call home. Lance Greene. Former military. Current artist…and recluse. Moving to Baytown was a chance to get away and forget. Forget his family’s expectations, forget the friends he lost on his last mission, and try to forget the nightmares that follow him. Staying away from people worked, until he met her. She was bright, happy, and everything he did not want. Jade Lyons. Elementary teacher. Sea glass collector. New to Baytown, she embraced all the small town had to offer, loving the little town, her friends, her students, and her new habit of early morning walks on the beach to find sea glass. Until she met him. He was overbearing, rude, and everything she wanted to avoid. But sea glass works magic and when Jade discovers a body, Lance steps up, vowing to protect her. Can picking up the pieces bring two souls together? **The language and sexual scenes in the book are similar to what you would see in an R rated movie, therefore the book is for 18+ readers.**

MY REVIEW:

A fabulous romantic suspense that had my emotions going every which way, with wonderfully sexy romance, a great plot, and memorable characters! Picking Up The Pieces is another Baytown treasure. I love the angst, I love the connection and the feels, the awe inspiring romance and the suspense that brings extra excitement, danger, and action to this already stupendous read.

I was immediately drawn into the story by a grumpy Lance and the sweet and kind Jane. Every time these two met up, there was always some sort of tension. It was so hard for Lance to stay away from Jane, especially since she had a special...lightness to her that even I, the reader could clearly see and that I found endearing. As the story progresses so does the romance between them. It was sweet, made my heart happy and when the suspense was added, it made this book IMPOSSIBLE to put down. 

Picking Up The Pieces gets a MUST GIVE THIS SECOND AND A THIRD READ BECAUSE IT WAS SOOOO GOOD, FIVE SHOOTING STARS! 




EXCERPT:

Lance sat on his sofa with Jade tucked close to him. His leg touched hers from hip to knee, his arm on the back of her cushion, barely managing to keep his hand from curving down to her shoulder.
Jade’s hands shook as she took a sip of the water Lance had given her, before turning her gaze to Mitch and Ginny. Calmer, she still felt ill and, as the water passed her lips, she covered her mouth with her hand, holding back a gag. Blushing, she mumbled, “Sorry,” before everyone rushed to tell her not to worry about it.
“It’s the smell,” she said. “I can still smell it even though there really isn’t a way that could be possible.”
“Your nerves are holding on to the scent,” Ginny said, her face sympathetic. “I still remember my first time.”
For a second, she was unsure what Ginny meant, and then it hit her. Ginny was referring to being around a corpse.
Swallowing audibly, she lowered her shaking hand. “I don’t know what I can tell you. I was just walking along. I was looking down for sea glass…I stopped to take note of the ships on the water. Um…that’s something I do for my class’ geography lesson. And then I had just started walking again when the smell…oh, God, the smell hit me. I’ve come across dead dolphins and even, a few months ago, a huge sea turtle that had washed up on the shore. Its smell was bad also, but this…” She gagged again, bending over, horrified she was going to throw up.
Lance immediately began to rub her back in gentle, circular motions while Ginny jumped up and headed into his kitchen. She grabbed an orange from a bowl on his counter and cut it into quarters.
Coming back to the living room, she bent in front of her and said, “Honey, take a whiff of this. Just breath it in.”
She began to slowly deep breathe, the tangy scent of the orange filling her nostrils. Sitting up, she offered a slight smile toward Ginny, mouthing her thanks.
Mitch stood and said, “That’s all we need, Jade.” He cast a glance down and added, “Do you need a ride home…or back to your car—”
“I’ve got her,” Lance interrupted.
Mitch eyed his friend, his lips twitching as he nodded. “Okay, Jade?”
She licked her dry lips as her gaze moved from Mitch to Lance, not wanting to impose. His face was hard, but his eyes implored hers, as though silently begging her to stay. “Yes…it’s fine. Thank you.”
Lance breathed easier as soon as she agreed and he assisted her to her feet, where they walked Mitch and Ginny out to the deck. Watching for a moment while the officers moved back up the beach toward the crime scene, he pulled her in closer, his arm tucking her tightly to his side.
“You need to eat, Jade.” Seeing her about to protest, he said, “Salad. I’ll fix a fruit salad. That’ll at least get some food in you but won’t overload your stomach.”
Nodding, she offered a weak smile as he guided her off the deck and back into the house


Maryann Jordan

As an Award Winning, Amazon International Bestselling and All-Star author, Kobo, and Barnes & Noble Best Selling Author, I have always been an avid reader. In 2013 I started a blog to showcase wonderful writers. In 2014, I finally gave in to the characters in my head pleading for their story to be told. Thus, Emma's Home was created. My first novel, Emma's Home became an Amazon Best Seller in 3 categories within the first month of publishing. Its success was followed by the rest of the Fairfield Series and then led into the Love's Series. Soon, other spin-off series came along and 8 of my books have made Amazon top 100 Bestselling books. Gabe, from the Alvarez Security Series won Silver Medal and 5 Star Review by the 2016 Reader's Choice Awards. Honor Love was an award winning novel from the 2016 Reader's Choice Awards. Serial Love was an award finalist novel from the 2016 Reader's Choice Awards. Coming Home was awarded the 5 Star Review by the 2017 Reader's Choice Awards. My books are filled with sweet romance and hot sex; mystery, suspense, real life characters and situations. My heroes are alphas, take charge men who love the strong, independent women they fall in love with. I worked as a counselor in a high school and have been involved in education for the past 30 years. I have just retired and look forward to more time with family and writing! I have been married to a wonderfully patient man for 36 years and have 2 adult, very supportive daughters. When writing, my dog or one of my cats will usually be found in my lap! I love to hear from readers, so please email me!

No comments:

Post a Comment